12/15/2007

Old at Thirty?

When did I turn old and grouchy? There was some sort of alcohol fueled altercation next door about ten minutes ago. I heard loud voices coming from outside, so I went to the window to see what was going on. There were about twenty to twenty-five young people (late teens to early 20's) gathered on the stoop of the three flat building next door. Two of these people - both men (big surprise) - were engaged in a verbal exchange, the goal of which seemed to be to call each other the most vulgar insult at the top of their lungs. Finally one of the young men, clearly drunk, slunk off down the street and I thought to myself, "Ah...good. It's over now." Except then the other kid, still at the top of his lungs, continued to proclaim that the "homosexual" needed to come back and fight him like a man blah, blah, blah. While, I'm sure, the young ladies present were positively quivering at his manliness...I, myself, was not. I waited - figuring that either someone would say something, or that he'd wind down. Finally, a good ten minutes later he was still shouting and I finally threw open my window and yelled, "Hey! I got a sleeping baby up here, man!" Now technically this baby is a cat, but I figured it was the safest way to shut him up and it worked.

Here's the thing. I feel like I'm mere days away from yelling things like, "Hey, you kids get off my lawn!" or "Turn down that racket! Is that what the young people call music these days?"

I sorta pondered that for a couple of minutes and decided I would post about it. Then I started to take a picture of my "grouchy" self to go with it and ended up taking a whole bunch of silly pictures of me. Along with my grouchy face (see above), I took:

My "What are you talking about?" face

My "Holy-Cow-We're-Being-Attacked-By-Zombies" face

And a random picture of the back of my head...
And I realized that I have so many other "issues" - that being old and grouchy probably doesn't even make the top five.

And then I was fine. :D

6 comments:

Kelly said...

this post is a perfect example of why we all love you so much.

Football and Fried Rice said...

Oh what great therapy......There are days when I definitely feel like we are closer to 40 then 20 (which we ARE!!) and with that we become more like our...GASP...parents. **sigh**

SaNdY said...

People (and I use the word loosely, in this case) can be so uncivilized nowadays...I can completely understand your rage...and my personal favorite picture of you is the 'Holy cow, we're being attacked by zombies' face!! :D

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

You are your mother's daughter and it is starting to show!!!! I concur--Holy cow--is my fav photo, too.
Cindi, I have a nephew named Stace. He lives down in Kansas City. He is married and has this adorable son, Gabe, that is 17 months old. he and his wife, Jen, are expecting again. The reason I mention this is Jen is a knitter and she has a blog that has some family posts but many knitting ones. I thought maybe the two of you would hit it off. She is an art teacher and well-educated and lives in a big city and is in your age bracket, and related to me by marriage; therefore your Uncle Mike's niece.
http://www.whatididatschooltoday.com

check her out--no pressure--

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see you turn 50!!!!
Its around the corner, before you know it, soooo,
SMILE!!!

Laurie said...

all I can say is that you crack me up! LOL