12/08/2007

The China Tree

And here are a couple of pictures of the China tree from the Museum of Science and Industry.

The China Tree.

A close up of one of the decorations. The pink one means, "happiness," but it's the only one I was able to identify.

A little info about Christmas in China. If you can't read it, it says, "Christians compromise 1% of China’s population. Those who do celebrate Christmas are visited by Dun Che Lao Ren (Christmas Old Man). Homes are illuminated with paper lanterns and Christmas trees (called trees of light). Much more widely celebrated is the New Year, which begins on the year’s first moon and ends with the full moon. The Year of the Rat begins on February 7, 2008. Custom dictates that before the new year, homes must be thoroughly cleaned to keep away bad luck. Houses are decorated with bright colors (red is especially lucky) and flowers. Festivities include elaborate parades and fireworks." There is a big Chinese New Year parade here in Chicago (in Chinatown) and I think that this year, Mike and I are going to try and go. Should be lots of fun!

The closest equivalent to "Merry Christmas" in Cantonese.

Mike took extra care to show me the part about cleaning the house before New Year's. I wonder if that's a hint?

1 comment:

Football and Fried Rice said...

Thanks for sharing pics of the tree; I love it! WOW, 1% of China's population are Christian. I actually felt as if I had been punched, the air left my body so quickly. I have been praying fervently for the missionary work being done in China, though I had no idea of the staggering numbers.