11/26/2007

To Tree Or Not To Tree

Alas, we did not get the Christmas tree put up today. That was the plan. The place is newly spiffed up and ready to go. But to start off, Mike and I slept in. The cats were frantic as they had run out of food in the night and despite Furio's best efforts, he couldn't rouse us. And I do mean his best efforts. He walked on us, he jump from the floor to land on us, he licked my face, he lay down on us, he kneaded Mike like bread, he meowed pitifully...nothing! He had given up and was sitting in the window with Meme when Mike finally threw his legs over the side of the bed and headed for the door. I had to laugh, as immediately after he left I heard *thump* *thump* as both cats jumped out of the window and ran for the door.

Mike started to make breakfast, only to realize that we were out of hash browns and paper towels. (The paper towels are to put the bacon on...Heaven forbid we get grease on anything!) So - Mike had to go to Dominick's to pick up these items before we could proceed with making breakfast. (I blame Sandy for his neuroses - napkins wouldn't do...it had to be paper towels.)

As we were eating breakfast, I asked if we were going to put up the tree and it was decided that we would. Excited, I picked up the camera - ready to record the process. I told Mike to do something cute...so he smiled. Well, he is cute. :D

And I picked out where I want the tree to go. Mike initially wrinkled his nose in disdain at my selection. He wanted to put it in the middle of the house. The middle of the house! Where there are no windows! Apparently Sandy has not explained the rules about putting up a Christmas tree. You have to have it in a window so that everybody can see it and be humbled in the presence of your artistic genius, as your tree will be the most brilliant thing they have ever seen! Geez, everybody knows that! Now, we will have to shift around Mike's speaker and whatnot, but there's an outlet right here and it's right by the window into the courtyard where everybody can see it.

We finished breakfast and I was practically jumping up and down to go to the storage unit and pick up the tree and decorations. Mike informed me that we would go shortly..."In about a half hour or so."

So I killed time with one of my favorite activities...taking pictures of my cats. What? I'm practicing for when Mike and I (might) have babies! This picture should look real familiar to my dad, as he's seen Meme's teeth on numerous occasions. Actually I caught her in mid-yawn, but I bet it still looks familiar. :D

She immediately went back to sleep while Mike attempted to convince her to give him the recliner.
An hour and a half later, I'm like, "We're not going today, are we?" He said that we were...and then my friend MooShu called to tell me all about the latest problems with her boyfriend. Yikes. I thought when I got married that I was done dealing with boyfriend issues. Another hour later, I got off the phone to find Mike engrossed in ebay.

Then, inexplicably, we decided to go to Best Buy. We went home via Baskin Robbins where Mike demolished an Oreo sundae and I had a chocolate chip shake. By the time we got back, it was 8 PM!

As we pulled in, Mike says that he's going to go to the storage unit. And, in fact, he did! He brought up our decorations...
...and our Christmas tree.
But that's as far as we got. Neither one of us felt like messing with the silly thing tonight. Mike's gone to bed and Meme...well, she's back where she started. This was taken about half an hour ago.
Mike speculates that perhaps she's got mono.

2 comments:

SaNdY said...

In my (and Mike's) defense: 1. napkins can ONLY be used by eaters, at the table, not to sop up bacon grease, napkins are not made to sop up grease, that's what paper towels are for, (and Mike needed to go to the store for hash browns, anyway, so why not get the required paper towels at the same time?) 2. we always have had our Christmas tree in a window, maybe Mike never noticed because he was always looking UNDER the tree for his presents! :D

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

Did he remember the cat food? And in his favor was the going after the tree and ornaments....You always have tomorrow and thoughts of yesterday.....I have been known to put our tree in the center of our great room because I wanted to see all of our ornaments!!!!! I sent all of our ornaments home with Sara and she will be taking our tree as soon as possible--could be months, hopefully not years.
In your defense, napkins can be used for anything from blotting your mouth to wiping up spills to blowing your nose to picking up puppy mistakes! And many other things! We do not spend the extra cash to buy multiple products when one will do and is proven to be so versatile.
I, like literally millions of Americans, do prefer the tree where everyone can enjoy the skill with which we decorate and envy the beauty of the things we've collected.....