11/11/2007

Lazy Sunday

It's getting cold here in Chicago. It's becoming harder and harder to get out of bed in the morning. So much easier to burrow under the covers.

Mike and I slept in today, too. It was after 10 before we both rolled out of bed and Mike fixed breakfast. Mike makes the best bacon in three counties and today he topped it all off by making us biscuits. Mmmmmm.

As Mike was making breakfast, I advised him that I was taking a trip downtown to the library today. The downtown branch is the only one open on Sundays and I had books that were a couple of days overdue and didn't feel like letting the fines rack up on them. Mike thought long and hard about coming with me. It seems that there was both a big football and a big hockey game on today. Spend the day with your wife or overdose on organized sport....tough one. But, in the end, he tivo'd the games and came with me.

I took a few pictures of our day together. Mike gets irritated with me because I snap so many pictures. But you just never know which ones are going to turn out good or which ones will be useful in a later post! You have to cover all your bases. I told Mike to walk out in front of me and turn around to look at me as he walked so I could take his picture. He did as I asked but then rolled his eyes at me after I took the picture. He just doesn't understand art!

Normally we can ride the red line right down to the library, but when we got on today, I remembered that they'd rerouted the subway part of the red line so that it's on the elevated tracks - which means it doesn't go right to the library like it normally does. No big deal, we just got off at Belmont and switched from the red line to the brown line elevated, which does go right to the library. You have to appreciate the convenience of mass transit - so many options.


I had to take a picture of this painting in the library. I don't know why - but every time I see it, I think of that painting that White Goodman (Ben Stiller) had behind his desk in the movie Dodgeball. The one of him taking the bull by the horns? "It's a metaphor...but that really happened." Cracks me up.

Here we are on our way home, waiting to switch back to the red line. We had originally thought about going to Chinatown and getting a nice bamboo plant for our kitchen windowsill, but we were both too tired when we got out of the library. Plus we had about 35 pounds of books in our bad...which I made Mike carry, much to his chagrin. It's not the weight of the books, but the fact that the bag is pink which caused his embarrassment. I promised that if I saw anyone giving him the hairy eyeball about it, I'd confront them for questioning his masculinity.

As I suspected, though, nobody thought twice about the burly guy carrying a pink tote bag.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

why don't you take a picture of yourself giving someone a hairy eyeball? i would love to see that!

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

it is interesting--getting glimpses of big city life...you have all the fun.