1/18/2008

Happy Birthday!

Today would have been my mother's 59th birthday. This is the second one that we've spent without her and I'm happy to report that this year, I'm able to remember her with many fewer tears than last year. It's still hard to be without her on her birthday, but this year I've been able to focus on remembering her life rather than thinking about her death. I think about all those little "Mom" things she always did for us - how she sweet talked her furry, weiner children - the way she always did what needed to be done without expecting thanks or praise - the fact that she tried to keep us from worrying about her - knowing that even though she is no longer with us, other people on this Earth are alive today because of her skills and knowledge of nursing - knowing that if she were alive, she'd be bragging to everyone who would listen about my recent graduation -- knowing also that even though we miss her and mourn her still, she is with God and Matt and that she feels no pain, only joy. And I'm grateful.

I'm glad to be spending this day in Colorado. Everything's closer to Heaven here and I know that wherever Mike and I walk tomorrow, she walks with us.

I love you, Mom. Happy birthday!

2 comments:

SaNdY said...

Yes, so nice that you and Mike are spending this special day in Colorado...I love how you said that it's closer to Heaven there and that your mom is walking along with you and Mike....sweet...

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

It is, isn't it? The sky is bluer and the air-though thinner-is cleaner. Your Mom would be so glad that you girls are together. She is smiling.