7/16/2007

Electric Bill, Schectric Bill

The other day, Mike came home and the first words out of his mouth were, "Do you really need the air conditioner on? It's not that hot out." Ordinarily my response might have been, "Do you really need to sleep in the bed? Our couch is so comfortable." But this time, I just thought, "Ah, yes - The electricity nazi...I expected you earlier." Not surprising, actually. We just paid our first "summer" electric bill.

Last night, as he was heading down the stairs to bed, he said, "You can turn the a/c on tomorrow. It's supposed to be hot."

I thought, "Oh, that's so cute. He's giving me permission." I wonder if he really thinks I'd have suffered through the heat? :D Although maybe he knows that I wouldn't...which is why he said it. That way I don't have to worry that I'm going against his wishes. Which is very considerate of him. Not that it would have stopped me anyway...:D...but still considerate. It avoids the two otherwise likely scenarios.

Scenario 1: Conversation Option 1
Mike: Why is the air conditioning on?
Cindi: Because I forgot to turn it off before you got home.

Scenario 2: Conversation Option 2
Mike: Why is the electric bill so high?!
Cindi: I don't know. We're getting screwed! We should call and complain.


2 comments:

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

CINDI, CINDI, CINDI,
WISHES,SCHMISHES,
YOU CAN BE SOOOOOO FUNNY.
SERIOUSLY, OUR HEATING/AC MAN SAID THAT ONCE YOU TURN IT ON, YOU SHOULD LEAVE IT ON. IT'S EASIER ON THE MACHINE THAN THE ON-OFF THING; PLUS IT KEEPS HUMIDITY OUT OF THE HOUSE, MAKING YOUR FURNITURE AND CARPET LAST LONGER. IMAGINE WHAT THAT HUMIDITY IS DOING TO WOOD FURNITURE--WARPING IT! INVITING INSECTS, ETC. ALL ICKY STUFF!

Football and Fried Rice said...

Back in the day (before we were poverty-stricken, expecting our third child)we used to keep that baby at 68 - year round..AH..I really miss it. I miss the novelties of a life in-debt. Hmmff. And as a sidenote - I don't care what anyone says, it DOES get hot in Colorado and air conditioning WOULD be really nice;D