1/02/2007

The Seventh Circle of Hell

My dear friend, Virginia (Vitka), is still stuck working in the seventh circle of Hell, a guest relations department in a famous museum with which I too used to be enslaved. Now, I guess technically, it may not be the SEVENTH circle...as I recall, in Dante's Inferno, the seventh circle is where the violent now reside either in a burning desert, river of boiling blood or as a tree - depending on your particular crime. But I like the way seventh circle of Hell sounds and I'm not sure in which circle you are put in a cube and abused by random tourists who feel like they are better than you. But I'm getting off track.

Vitka started off her new year with a particularly heinous encounter with a young lady. You can read about it in its entirety here. When I read about it, I was so infuriated that I thought I was going to have to take someone's blood pressure meds to calm down. I hate, hate, HATE when you tell a guest the information that they TELL you to give them and then they (the management) come in and are all, "Oh, give them whatever they want." Vitka is a much nicer person than I...she gave the bi-atch her tickets. I'd have told el queso grande (which cracked me up, btw, Vitka) to fire me because no way am I selling that nasty hag anything.

Her post came at a good time, though. I was feeling slightly nostalgic for the days of working at the museum. Now I remember why it is that I quit. I was miserable working there. I cried when I had to go back after my days off and people like that are why. I have a complete hatred for tourists in general after that experience. In fact if I even have to say the word tourist, I do so with a sneer on my face.

I have no real reason for making this post other than to tell Vitka that I will be happy to look up what hotel she's staying in and take her some "room service." Knuckle sandwich, room 304. Heh. Love you, Vitka.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me and the old man were talking with Kelly about 'tourist attitude' when she got back from the trip she and Scott took...I happen to think people, in general, are much more rude and uncivilized than when I was younger (and that was a loooooong time ago!!) And there's something about when certain people/tourists pay for a service (at a resort, a museum, a meal in a restaurant, etc.) that they feel gives them the 'right' to abuse and treat the property and the service workers poorly. I've seen this in young people, older people, Americans, and foreigners...it is really a shame, it is like humans are resorting to animalistic, instinctual, (is that a word, Cindi??) 'every man for himself' behavior...very sad.

Anonymous said...

Here's a heads-up for all of your blog readers: Click on the 'Men Who Look Like Kenny Rogers' website under 'Our Links'....talk about funny....hehe!