1/11/2007

Credit where credit is due...

Ok, Mike got me a couple of days ago. It is fairly well known that Mike questions my taste in all things. If I suggest something - a movie, a restaurant, a novel - he'll go online and look it up and then tell me whether or not he feels he may like it. (I still contend that he is missing out by not just taking my word on stuff!) I'm fairly used to this fact, even if it does annoy me from time to time. Despite the fact that all of my recommendations have to be confirmed via internet or other source, he has no problem taking the word of other people. The best and funniest example of this involved a movie.

Once upon a time, I asked Mike to take me to the movies. I wanted to see "A Mighty Wind" - which at that time was playing in the theaters. It looked so funny! Mike adamantly refused.

"That looks stupid!" He proclaimed.

We didn't go see it, of course and I figured I'd rent it when it came out on video. After some time had passed, I forgot all about this movie. Then, probably two years later, Mike came home one day and said, "I rented a movie for us to watch. My sister told me it's hilarious. It's called 'A Mighty Wind.'" Whoo! It was on. And Mike has never lived that one down. I've gotten a LOT of mileage out of that one.

Well - a couple of nights ago, we were walking out of the house and I asked him about something or other. I can't remember what I had earlier recommended and the specifics doesn't really matter. I had left him a voicemail about doing or buying something and asked him if he'd gotten the message and thought about it.

He said, "Oh, yeah. I talked to Kelly and she said that's really good, so I think we should do it."

I sucked in a big breath and opened my mouth to deliver an appropriately scathing reply about him taking his sister's word and not mine. I must have scrunched my face up or something because my intent must have been clear. Mike looked back at me and gave that cute sputter laugh of his and I knew I'd been had. It was one of the only times Mike's gotten me so good. That's the sort of trick that _I_ play all the time. Mike's usually above such shennanigans.

I can't decide to compliment him on his masterful delivery or be sad because he's sinking to my level. ;) What do you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would say the playing field is now level!! I would not say he's sunk to your level!! Let the battle continue!! Hehe!

Kelly said...

well, well, well. i think it all goes to show you how BRIGHT mike actually is!!!!!