10/30/2007

A New Favorite

I don't know what it is about Tom Petty...but I adore him. I've always liked a song of his here and there, but I was never all that aware of who he was or of his music as a whole. Then I hooked up with Mr. Music Know-It-All and eventually married him. Mike has inadvertently triggered my obsessions with certain songs that I never knew existed. Most notably Neil Young's "Journey Through the Past," which I could listen to every minute for the rest of my life and never get tired of - and which I never heard of until 2007 despite the fact that the song is older than I am. Yet despite his best efforts, I'm still not a big fan of Pearl Jam. But I digress.

A few years ago, Mike bought for me the Greatest Hits album of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. I listened to it all the way through and found out that Tom Petty sang a lot of the songs I'd liked over the years (but never knew he sang). I vowed to buy all of Tom Petty's albums and discover what I'd been missing over the course of my lifetime. Despite this vow, I currently own only two of his albums. Greatest Hits and Southern Accents. That's the story of my life...full of big ideas - not so great on the follow through. :D

Anyway, despite only owning two albums, I have occasionally heard a song I liked and downloaded it from iTunes. And today I heard my (current) favorite song for the first time - even though it was released on his 1987 album. (I really gotta get on that whole 'buying all the albums' thing - who knows what I'm missing?!) Anyway, the song is called It'll All Work Out. I've included it below...ignore the random pictures. I have no idea who that is...the sound quality's better on this than on the live videos on YouTube.

1 comment:

Football and Fried Rice said...

I had never heard that song either & I love it so much I'm heading over to down load it! Thanks for sharing this hidden treasure!