8/04/2007

When I Say 'Jack', You Say 'Hammers'

Tonight we took in a Joliet Jackhammers minor league baseball game. Although it seemed for awhile that we weren't going to be able to. The first obstacle was rain. On the way to Joliet, it started to splash down big drops on the windshield and we considered turning around. After some deliberation, we decided we were almost to Joliet and we'd see how it was when we got there. It sprinkled a little during the first two innings but after that - no problem!

Then, when we got to the stadium, I went to buy tickets. The lady told me the only seats they had left were lawn seats. I wasn't really keen on lawn seats anyway but it was raining a bit and we didn't have anything to sit on. If it rained much more, it would be all muddy and gross. I was like, "No way are we sitting on the lawn." I was reaching around in my bag to get my phone and call Mike to tell him not to park the car, when a lady came up to us and asked us if we had tickets. We said no and she said, "Oh, good! We have too many. Here's three tickets - enjoy your night." We couldn't believe it!

There was an "incident" at the game, though. Our usual routine is to stop at the Golden Corral in Bolingbrooke on our way to Joliet and fill up on their buffet in an effort to spend less money eating at the game. I guess it works, although invariably, I always want a baseball game snack - like a hot dog or nachos. I asked Mike for nachos and he wouldn't get them for me because I should have eaten more at the Golden Corral. I said that I would have eaten nachos there but the didn't have them. Then Mike said..."Besides, I'm helping you with your diet." And then...he poked me in the stomach. I know you...as I was...are thinking "Oh no he didn't." Oh, yeah. He totally did. And then I threatened his life.

On the other hand, Mike seems to stopped being "too strict." He's turned into a big kid. I heard some rowdy laughter from the living room and went out to see what was going on. The boys were playing Wii tennis and Caleb told me, "We've discovered that my girl (his computer generated tennis partner) is a lesbian." I must have looked confused because he continued, "She doesn't like balls." Part of me wanted to laugh but I thought to myself, "He's going to go home and say that to his mom and when she gets mad, he'll tell her that we thought it was hilarious." (Mike really did think it was hilarious, btw.) I have retreated into the computer room, feeling that it was probably better if I didn't know about the "man talk" going on in the living room.

I can only hope that what happens in Chicago - stays in Chicago. (Sorry, Tracy) :D

2 comments:

Football and Fried Rice said...

That is totally awesome that you guys got free tickets into the game (and didn't have to sit on the wet ground!) yeah!~~~ sounds like you guys had a good time~~~

Anonymous said...

FREE!!!! Heck,I would go for free!
And it is every sports fan's right to the food of the game, be it nachos or those truely delightful hot dogs ( love them!) I would still be frosted!
Hope you are enjoying Caleb. Mallory and I are having a great time!
Auntie Linda