8/21/2007

This Priest is Making Me Nervous

Mike and I have decided to have our marriage blessed by the Catholic Church. We were married in an Episcopal ceremony by a lady priest. When we registered in the St. Benedict parish, they gave us this option and we decided...why not? You can never have your marriage blessed too much, right? Anyway, long story short - we had to meet with our priest today to do some paperwork. St. Ben's is a pretty big church and they have three main priests. Fr. Beaven, Fr. Steve and Fr. Clem. Fr. B. is in charge but since the parish is so large, he doesn't preside over mass too often. It's Fr. Steve if you're there early and Fr. Clem if you slept in (usually). Today, though, we had to meet with Fr. Beaven. For some reason, he seems to make Mike a little nervous. And me? Well, I wasn't nervous...but you know how you get the urge to laugh at completely inappropriate times? That was me today.

Even though Mike and I are already married, we had to go through the whole pre-marriage questionaire. They ask you a bunch of questions about you and your family. And they go through word for word and they don't assume anything. This was my favorite exchange of the afternoon.

Fr. B.: Michael, have you ever been married?
Mike: No.
Cindi: (snort)
Fr. B.: (chuckle)
Mike: (pause)
Mike: (looks at me and turns red)
Mike: Uh...except for now, I mean.

They also ask you things like, "Do you understand the obligations of marriage?" and "Do you promise to be faithful?" It's actually a very solemn sort of occasion but I kept hearing a voice in my head - which made me want to giggle.

Question: "Do you understand the obligations of marriage?"
VIMH: "Boy, I sure do now."

Question: "Do you promise to be faithful?"
VIMH: "He better."

Mike also had to promise to allow me to have children if I want. Ha! Sucka - now I've got him! Kidding! I'm kidding! I'd never force Mike into fatherhood. If we're meant to have kids, great! If not, well that'll be alright, too. But when Fr. B. read that off, I was seriously like, "Oh, that's brilliant!"

4 comments:

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

Uncle Mike and I had our marriage blessed in the Catholic Church also;about 6 months after our Justice of the Peace ceremony. The ceremony is very much like a real wedding ceremony. We had guests and a Mass. It was beautiful. You will appreciate having the Church recognize your union. And it never hurts to be on board with your in-laws either. My folks were certainly pleased when we did it.

SaNdY said...

I think it's a lovely idea to get your marriage blessed, too...like you said, Cindi, you can never have your marriage blessed too much! =]

Football and Fried Rice said...

I think it is very sweet! And what a great chance to reflect on the committment that you guys made to each other. I think you 2 are an adorable couple & I can't wait to see your babies (that's just ME talking!!)They will be really cute though!

SaNdY said...

I can't wait to see their babies, either!!! Let's go, people, I'm 55, not getting any younger!!!
Just kidding....sort of! =]