8/23/2007

My Poem of the Day

Afternoon Memory
by Gary Soto

Sometimes I'll look in the refrigerator
And decide that the mustard is vaguely familiar,
And that the jar of Spanish olives is new to me.
What's this gathering? The butter
And salsa, the two kinds of tortillas
And, in back, the fat-waisted Mrs. Butterworth.
I'll study the plate of cross-legged chicken,

And close the refrigerator and lean on the kitchen counter.
Is this old age? The faucet drips.
The linoleum blisters when you walk on it.
The magnets on the refrigerator crawl down
With the gravity of expired coupons and doctor bills.
Sometimes I'll roll my tongue in my mouth.
Is this thirst or desire? Is this pain
Or my foot going to sleep? I know the factory
Inside my stomach has gone quiet.
My hair falls as I stand. My lungs are bean plants
Of disappearing air. My body sends signals, like now:
A healthy fleck is floating across my vision.
I watch it cross. It's going to attack a virus
On the right side of my body
And, later, travel down my throat to take care of knee,
Little latch of hurt. I swallow three times.
I have to help my body parts. Fellas, sour liver
And trusty kidney, I'm full of hope.
I open the refrigerator.
I've seen this stuff before. What's this?
The blow dart of bran? Chinese ginger?
No, fellas, they're carrots. The orange, I hear,
Is good for your eyes.

6 comments:

Football and Fried Rice said...

who puts syrup in the refrigerator?

SaNdY said...

Like the poem! And for the record, I don't place my Mrs. Butterworth in the fridge, either

Sassy said...

It didn't seem odd to me. I think my mom must put the syrup in the fridge. Not before it's open but once you've used it, I think she fridged it. I don't generally keep syrup in the house - and don't think I've had any since we lived in Indiana but I'm pretty sure it was in the fridge. :D But maybe it's just me...I am unique.

SaNdY said...

I don't refrigerate my ketchup, I think most people do, and you're supposed to, according to the label...just like to live dangerously, I guess!! =]

Sassy said...

I've always said that about you, Sandy. :D

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

no syrup in the fridge.........
they leave ketchup out in restuarants so y not at home? for the record, i do refridgeate ketchup because we hardly ever use it. but we hardly ever use syrup...i guess we are not big condiment users. mayo, tho! also find you unique,cindi. and glad another boomeer admits to living on the edge!