5/03/2007

I have to get mad more often!

Mike is in disfavor today (actually it's yesterday - I didn't realize it was after midnight). It doesn't really matter why. He's aware. a) Sandy didn't raise no dummies.* b) I'm not subtle. I know he's aware because he's not doing any of his usual, "I think she's mad, let's see if I can charm her" routine. No puppy dog eyes, extra snuggles or rapid-fire cheek kisses. He's gone straight into "I'm in big trouble here, time to break out the big guns" mode. He stopped at CVS to pick up some stuff for me without me having to ask him to do it. He took me out to dinner. Though we do not actually speak about it out loud, we both know the score and where we stand. I decide to raise the stakes. "I want you to take me to Border's after dinner," I say. "Okay," He immediately replies.** Ahhh, yes. Game, set, match - Cindi.

After dinner, he keeps his word and takes me down the street to the multi-level Border's store on North Ave. He asks if it's alright if he sits in the car while I go in. Uh..ye-AH. Like I need him following me around the store. I hold out my hand for money. He gives me a $20 bill and whatever singles he has in his wallet. I snatch them up thinking I've hit the jackpot and turn with my hand on the door handle when I hear him speak from behind me. "Is that enough or do you want two $20's?" Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? For someone who is ALWAYS monitoring the balance in our savings account and fretting that we're dipping into it too much, I was WAAAAAAAY too tempted at the offer of extra book money. But, ever conscious of the fact that books are not a necessity, I merely savored (I closed my eyes and took a big, deep breath while the feeling enveloped me) the experience and said, "No, this is fine."

It was delicious. Even more delicious than the enchiladas with extra cheese I had for dinner.
___________________________________________________________

*I know this is bad grammar. I did it on purpose.

**We did have the following conversation after he agreed. It's paraphrased but essentially accurate.

Mike: You want to go to Borders? You do still have money on that Barnes & Noble gift certificate.

Cindi: It's at home. Besides, I'm SAVING that. For a book emergency.

Mike: You're so weird.

***The pictures are of Mike's grandparents' Memorial Bench in Daytona Beach, FL. It has nothing to do with this post but I've been thinking I would post them for awhile. Yesterday at school I uploaded them to a blog entry and decided to use them as my "random pictures" of the day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

***Thanks for posting the bench photos! Also ALL the photos are just great, and puts a big smile on my face! All of you are so cute! Even now!!!!

Anonymous said...

Have to agree with Bren, love all the pictures, too!