11/03/2006

A terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day

My aunt Kathryn is in the hospital. I'm still not exactly sure what's up on that front - something about walking pneumonia, I believe. I'm hoping for good results because when my dad called to tell me, they had moved her out of the ICU and into a regular hospital bed.

My dad's good friend from his Vietnam days, Marvin, was sent home from the hospital today. When he first said this I thought it was good news but it turns out that he is dying and he wanted to die at home, so they released him. Dad said that they told them he only had another 24 hours or so left. I didn't ever meet Marvin but I have heard stories about him since I was little and I know that my dad is probably feeling pretty down, so send warm fuzzies his way, will ya?

I got an email today that a friend of a friend lost his dad on Halloween. I don't really know the friend of a friend and I don't know his dad at all but the news hit close to home and I really feel bad for the family.

Just a weird thing I found out today - that quote that I found on my mom's locker. My personal mantra, if you will..."Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." I always knew she didn't think it up herself and that it came from somewhere...but today I found out who said it. Dr. Seuss. Who knew?

Peace!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Knowing your Mom and the humorous way she perceived life, I can't think of a better resource for her mantra the the late, great Dr. Seuss. Good thing he stuck to the "cats" and didn't get started on doxies.