11/20/2006

Bobbi and her "freedom march"

I was looking through my emails today and found this one. It's from my mom describing an experience she had with her hamster and it makes me laugh. She could never go into a pet store without buying something and then she'd be mad because it was such a pain to take care of. She always took really good care of her animals...she just hated having to do it sometimes. Bobbi is a black dwarf hamster who still resides with my dad...miraculously still alive as we'd forgotten about her for at least a week after my mom died. Polly refers to "Neopolitan," a guinea pig who left this Earth some months before my mom. We had Boris and Polly and for awhile we would occasionally have baby guinea pigs to give away. After Boris died, my mom would refer to her as "The widow Polly." But I'm getting off track. Anyways, this is an email I got from my mom right before Mike and I got married. It's very typical "mom" humor and I thought I'd share.


Subject: Bobbi and her "freedom march"
From: Linda H. to me, Jeffrey, Robin, JOHN
Date: Apr 13 (2006)

Bobbi the hamster and I have had quite an afternoon.
I asked your Dad(Charles) to change Polly's cage
several days ago. but he hadn't had time time or
inclination to do it. Soo... I decided to do it.
Bobbi's cage in on top of Polly's. So I looked for
Bobbi and nowhere did I see her. I moved bedding,etc
and still didn't see her. Any way I foung her wedged
in the tube between the upper floor and the lower
level wedged with bedding. So I think she has
smothered herself. She was on the wheel last night so
this is not a event of long duration. I took the cage
and emptied it but the tube was still plugged. So I
banged the tube on the side of the trash several times
and finally all fell out. Bobbi perks right up and
starts running around the trash can. I pick her up
and put her back in her cage and put bedding etc. in
to get her fixed up....silently cursing my luck that
she is still breathing. I sat and watched her for a
minute because she is very happy to be "free at last,
thank God, I'm free at last." I had put the top back
on the cage and she is briskly. or confused like as it
turns out, climbing up and down the tube. I think it
is because she is remembering her horrible experience.
Then she goes up the tube and falls out into the
cage. I had put the top on backwards and the upper
level is on the wrong side. So we are now straighened
up and all is well. I have sat here and giggled at
our little problem and just wanted to share with
someone. P.S. Bobbi did not appear amused. But she is
happy to be "free".



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember getting that email and giggling over it for quite some time. I shared it with a few people as well, those whom I knew would appreciate the humorous aspects. Thanks for sending it out again - it started my day off just right lol.