3/27/2007

A birthday bash

Mike and I started his birthday by visiting the Museum of Contemporary Art - a museum we hadn't gotten around to seeing but which had been on Mike's "wish to see" list for some time. We got a pass from the library which got us in without paying the normal $10 fee. A fact for which I was extremely grateful. It was a fun experience going with Mike but I can definitely say...I just didn't get it. A lot of it, anyways. There were definitely some really cool things there.

But then there were things I just didn't get...like a huuuuuge room...bigger than our apartment...with white walls and a bright orange carpet. Mike and I walked across and I said, "I wonder what they use this room for." Then at the other end, we saw the wall placard. "Orange Room," it said...created by (some artist whose name I have forgotten). Or the room that had a different artist's "interpretations" of famous painter's works. Each painting had a placard that told you which famous painting the artist had recreated. Except that, to me anyway, the artist's interpretations each looked like a canvas covered in black and gray swirls. Or the photographer who took pictures of corpses in the morgue and named the pictures after their cause of death. On display at the MCA are "Knifed to death #1" and "Knifed to death #2."

Definitely the best part of the MCA was the store - which boasted a TON of cool stuff. We may go back - but probably only to the store. And only if we have money.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

hey! how come you never wrote about YOUR birthday bash!!!???

jeffy likes apples said...

she prolly doesnt remember much of the evening.