2/06/2008

All Dogs Go To Heaven

I just finished an excellent book! Have you read it, Sara? I enjoyed it very much. It's about Susie, a 14 year old girl who was murdered. She watches Earth from Heaven and narrates about the effect her death had on those left behind. Her family, friends, her killer...

Anyway, I had held it together through most of the book, which has some just absolutely heart-rending moments...when I was undone by this passage.

"At Evensong one night, while Holly played her sax and Mrs. Bethel Utemeyer joined in, I saw him: Holiday, racing past a fluffy white Samoyed. He had lived to a ripe old age on Earth and slept at my father's feet...I waited for him to sniff me out, anxious to know if here, on the other side, I would still be the little girl he had slept beside. I did not have to wait long: he was so happy to see me, he knocked me down."

Holiday is the dog that Susie's family had. I was in the lunch room sniffling because I was so happy that her dog recognized her in Heaven. Silly.
But it made me think about how glad I am that even though my mom's gone, she's with Krammer in Heaven. It's often the little things that make us emotional, I guess.

7 comments:

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

I love that picture. It is a great memory.

Football and Fried Rice said...

Awww...our mothers! I don't know if you were asking ME - but I HAVE read that book & completely LOVED it - like crazy cakes. it was a quick and emotional read. Alice Sebold also wrote a biography called "Lovely" that is pretty good too.

Speaking of books - I found "The Queen's Fool" in the loft with all of the kids' library books - did you finish it? hee-hee. I am on page 227, but will mail it
tomorrow (with your finished pen can)

Chuckle, chuckle.

Sassy said...

I was asking you. I finished "The Queen's Fool." Mail it if you want or send it to Goodwill. I've read it. :D

Can't wait to get my pen can. I have wished for it several times already while I'm at work! Need a spot to put those pens!

Charlie said...

You're absolutely right, it's the small things that 'upset the applecart' Memorys of little things! that hit you unexpectedly!

Kelly said...

what's a pen can???

Sassy said...

A pen can is an old can - in this case, I believe canned corn - which is turned into a pen holder. Hence, pen can. :D

Football and Fried Rice said...

LOL. I finished AND boxed up that pen can the day you left. Still sitting on the counter though. You know, that dreaded trip to the P.O. I'm a loser.I hope it hasn't fallen apart sitting in there.

I might as well go ahead & finish The Queen's Fool, it is pretty good :)