4/22/2008

For Mike, On Our Anniversary


Where We Belong, A Duet by Maya Angelou

In every town and village,
In every city square,
In crowded places
I searched the faces
Hoping to find
Someone to care.

I read mysterious meanings
In the distant stars,
Then I went to schoolrooms
And poolrooms
And half-lighted cocktail bars.
Braving dangers,
Going with strangers,
I don`t even remember their names.
I was quick and breezy
And always easy
Playing romantic games.

I wined and dined a thousand exotic Jims and Johns
In dusty dance halls, at debutante balls,
On lonely country lanes.
I fell in love forever,
Twice every year or so.
I wooed them sweetly, was theirs completely,
But they always let me go.
Saying bye now, no need to try now,
You don`t have the proper charms.
Too sentimental and much too gentle
I don`t tremble in your arms,

Then you rose into my life
Like a promised sunrise.
Brightening my days with the light in your eyes.
I`ve never been so strong,
Now I`m where I belong.

3 comments:

SaNdY said...

What a sweet poem!! Happy Anniversary to you both!! :D

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

Happy anniversary, Baby; got you on my mind....
Little River Band
one of the greatest anniversary songs ever!!

Football and Fried Rice said...

You are a cute couple!!! For sure....