3/15/2008

A Weekend With the Cheeseheads

As this is my pre-birthday weekend (Really? How ever could you tell?), my dad is visiting Chicago. He got in last evening and will be staying until tomorrow.

I woke up about 7:30 this morning and couldn't get back to sleep. About 9, I asked Dad if he felt like some breakfast. I decided we should probably mention it to Mike in case he wanted to come along. He did. So he showered and we all headed for I-HOP.

While we were hanging out at the I-HOP, we were trying to figure out what to do with ourselves today. Dad is going to take us out for a birthday dinner tonight, but we had the whole day ahead of us.

The first thing we had to do was pick up our new glasses. Both Mike and I were due for a check-up and we each got a new pair of glasses. So, first we headed to the mall.

This picture's for Laurie, by the way. He's trying to show his support for the Tigers. Don't be fooled, Laurie - he bought a Cubs hat the last time we were at the mall. It's a ruse. :D But here he is with his new glasses.

And here I am with mine. After they fitted me with them, the guy realized there was a sort of spider-webby defect in the coating on one lens, so I had to leave without them and come back and get them later.

Despite it being a rather overcast, gloomy day...

...we headed for WISCONSIN! YaY! My dad wanted to know how far it was, because it's the only state between Ohio and Colorado that he hasn't been in. Or something like that. You'll have to ask him if you want specifics. He's also been on both coasts, but he's missed a few states here and there. Anyway, he wanted to take a trip to Wisconsin. So we did!

We headed up to Milwaukee - where we visited the Miller Plant.

And took the tour!

What follows is a few pictures from the tour:

A close-up of Mike - which shows off his new glasses quite well, if I do say so myself.

The girl in the moon. She's on the Miller High Life logo...and on the building here, as well.

The guys outside the Brewery visitors center.

My beer-chocolate. I got it for the novelty...chocolate with a beer logo on it.

On the way back to Chi-town, we topped at the Mars Cheese Castle. Awesome. We got a selection of cheese, a few cookies from their bakery, and something called "Kick Ass" bread. It also had a few items that amused me, which I did not buy...

Such as Uncle Phil's Gourmet Polish mustard. Any of you Polacks got an "Uncle Phil?" And what exactly is Polish mustard? It's a puzzle.
They also had "Fat Squirrel" beer. Mike thought about buying some, but the description convinced him that he'd rather not. I don't remember what sort of beer it was, but Mike didn't think he'd like it and didn't want to pay for it simply because it's called "Fat Squirrel." If I was a beer drinker, I'd have totally bought it. I have no such qualms. They also had a beer that boasted a "deep chocolate and coffee flavor." Chocolate-coffee-beer? Pass.
Utter shaped mugs. They amused me very much.

And piggy oven mits.
This I took a picture of because the other day I asked Mike if he had any cash on him and he said something to the effect of, "Are you kidding? Do I have cash? I'm married now, remember?" I didn't really think it was that funny at the time he said it, but by the time he'd come to and picked himself up off the floor...I thought it was funnier. ;)
And now we're home...for now. Everybody (except me) is taking a nap before we head out for some good eats. We're not sure where we'll end up yet, but I'm excited. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some napping to do!

2 comments:

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

hope you have a wonderful birthday and a super birthday dinner!

SaNdY said...

Greetings Cheeseheads: Looks like you guys had a fun weekend!! Love both pairs of glasses!! Did the bread from the Cheese Castle really kick ass??? Where did you go for your birthday dinner?? :D