10/16/2009

The Sick Returns

So I was home sick all day today. I started feeling poorly last night and this morning, after I had tossed what was left of my cookies, Mike refused to take me to work. I'm still feeling tired, achy, snotty and generally gross, although I did watch an incredible amount of television, including all of the episodes of NCIS available on Comcast On Demand and basically an entire season of Nurse Jackie.

Tonight I sent Mike out to spend the evening with our friend, Sergio, because (although it does occasionally feel like it) I'm not dying. Now I'm feeling a little lonely, though. I always miss my mom when I don't feel well. I suppose that no matter how old you are, you always want your mom when you're sick.

I've thought a lot about her tonight and tried to figure out what the odds are that, were my mom living, either she or my dad would be on their way to Chicago. (On a side note - please do not come here, Dad). I laughed and cried at the same time when I thought about how she made Matt and my dad come to spend Thanksgiving with me at college one year because I had to work the day after and couldn't make it home for the holiday. She'd had to work, too and couldn't come down - and I had made arrangements to spend the day with our cousins, but she didn't want me to miss the family and so she sent the family to me and spent the holiday alone herself.

And how the first time she met Furio she made the mistake of trying to get too friendly, too fast. She touched his belly without permission. He never really forgave her and would growl at her whenever she came over. Now Meme treats my father horribly and it's become a bit of a joke - he takes it with good humor. My mother, however, took Furio's attitude as a personal insult and always got her feelings hurt when he wouldn't want her to pet him.

Well, anyway - I suppose I should go to bed and try to rest up. I have a ticket for tomorrow night's Blackhawk's game (thanks to Sergio) and I don't want to be too sick to go. :( That would be bad!

Goodnight.

3 comments:

Charlie said...

Sounds to me like you needed Lyric to show you how to use Hand Sanitizer (You know there's a bad Flu going around)
W. Burlington closed their elementary schools 40% of the students were out and 30% of the Teachers and they ran out of Subs. so the didn't have enough teachers to keep the school open. So they closed for thur.&fri. they're planning to reopen monday.

Unknown said...

I sure hope you feel better soon!

Kelly said...

i love your mama stories