2/22/2007

Skate or Die

Tonight after dropping Cindi off at school, I decided to stick around downtown and do some window shopping and walk down to Millenium Park. I started off at the Harley Davidson store and proceeded to Swatch to see if our friend Stephanie was working tonight and she was. I drooled over the Rolex and Panerai watches in the display window in the jewelry store and stopped into Kenneth Cole and quickly realized that I have no business looking at blue jeans for $125 a pop. I got some Fannie May candies for Lucinda and I, then walked a couple blocks to the park.

I heard some music playing and saw the lighted skating rink and knew that I had to try ice skating again. I paid $7 for some beat up rental hockey skates that have probably paid for themselves 100 times over. I've seen sharper edges on children's play toys, but realized they would have to do. Just as I was lacing up my skates, Cindi called to say that she got out of class early today. I convinced her to come down to the rink and watch me skate for a little bit. When she got there, i asked her if she wanted to try it out and that I would teach her. She had quite a bit of trepidation but decided to try it. I told her that I would hold her hand while she rode the rail until she got the hang of it. The first time we went around, slowly but surely, and neither of us fell. The second time and third time around, she was clearly getting better and relying a lot less on the rail. We had a really fun time and should be going again soon before the season is over.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

i like when children play with toys that have sharp edges. i am still looking for the 'bag o' glass' toy from snl to give out to some of my students.