12/25/2008

Christmas Blessings

Well, it's Christmas again and this year I'm working hard to remember my blessings in the face of what I can only describe as a "crisis of Christmas spirit." As in I don't have any. This year's holiday season was really hard for me. I think a lot of this stems from the fact that I've been working a lot of overtime and have been on the road for three out of the last four weekends. It's easy to wallow in self-pity when you're tired. The worst part is that I really don't have anything to be pitying myself about! I'm literally making myself sick with the ungrateful attitude. So, I've decided that I'm going to list out my blessings in the hope that it will put me in a more festive mood.

1. Mike. People always tell me how lucky I am to have him, but today he showed his sweet nature even more than usual.

I got home from work and I've been kind of spoiling for a fight anyway. I've been working a lot of hours to meet a deadline for a project and working on Christmas Eve didn't help. Then Mike got in a snit because the house was sloppy. We had three year old company last night and the house hadn't (and still hasn't) fully recovered. He talked about how "we" (meaning me) always clutter the house and I finally let loose on my temper and told him that he could just go find a wife who wasn't so g-d messy since I was so terrible. Instead of giving me back the foul attitude, Mike followed me around the house reassuring me that nobody else could make him happy and that he'd never want another wife. He was afraid he'd hurt my feelings.

2. Family. Both Mike and I have great families. We're not going to be with either of them today, but we'll be wishing that we were. (And my Dad will be up next week - YaY!) Over last weekend, Mike's cousins Bob and Andrea asked him if we could use some tickets to a Red Wings game. Mike was so excited - he was like a little kid. Thanks, Susallas!

And Christmas weekend was great. I enjoyed the weekend spent in Michigan and was glad that I'd opted not to go into work, but rather to travel with Mike.

3. My (new) job. It's been a lot of work lately, but it more than puts bread on our table. It's really nice not to have to sweat so much about money. And it's the one thing that kept me from completely freaking out when the City of Chicago announced that it would be laying off almost 1000 workers and Mike was convinced that he would be one of the lay-offs. Thank God, he wasn't - but knowing that I had a good job and insurance coverage for us no matter what made the difference between me being ok and me freaking out and possibly climbing a tree naked or something.

Plus, how wonderful is it that I am no longer working at a job that makes me miserable. How blessed am I that I got this job offer while I was recovering from my kidney stones - knowing that I would be in trouble for having to take four days off from work and that this illness could cost me my job? The timing of the offer making it so that I would have time to have the surgery the doctor recommended with a few days to rest and recoup? I have always believed in a Higher Power, but if I hadn't before, I certainly would now. While I know that God provides, I like to think that maybe my mom had a hand in this one, too.

4. My friends. Lyric and Sarah, who always make me smile - even though Lyric, or "Elle" as I've started calling her, is making a definite effort to steal my husband away from me. The ladies who will be going ice skating with us the day after Christmas and who are always there if we need anything.

And Lisa and Vitka. Vitka who makes me laugh and always has time for me even though she works seven days a week. And Lisa, who is a fellow motherless daughter, and always has time to listen when I need a sympathetic ear. Lisa, who knew that Christmas would be hard for me without my mom, will be spending Christmas Day with Mike and I - introducing us to her Jewish tradition of Chinese food and a movie.

Amy and Matthew. Amy, who has been my friend since I was in the first grade and has yet to let me down when I needed her and who traveled to Chicago for my Mom's Memorial Party. And Matthew - who is just awesome for many reasons.
All of my friends are beautiful people, but these few are extra special. The ones I know that I could call for help at 2 AM and know that no explanation would be necessary.

5. My Apartment. Messy it may be, but it is mine and it is great. So much more than four walls and a roof.

6. My new car. Do I really need to even explain this one?

7. My cats. They are always happy to see me and love me even when I forget to feed them.

8. Tivo. I never miss Judge Judy and I love that. :)

I know that I have many blessings that I have forgotten, but listing them would take forever. Merry Christmas, everybody. Have a safe and wonderful Holiday.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

i love your list cindi. i get down in the dumps too and 'grateful lists' always seems to help.

merry christmas to the best sister-in-law a gal could hope for. :)

SaNdY said...

Merry Christmas to the best daughter-in-law a mom-in-law could hope for! Love your guts! :D

SaNdY said...

Hey!! I love your Las Vegas ticker!!