10/18/2008

The Sick

There was talk of us going to Michigan this weekend. Then the sick hit. Tuesday I knew I was coming down with something and Wednesday I came home early from work, barely able to move and unable to breathe through my nose. Mike wasn't feeling well, either, but he took care of me as he seemed convinced that I was worse off than he. Since I was fairly convinced that I was on the verge of death, I let him baby me. I stayed at home again on Thursday and by noon, Mike was home sick, too, and our place had become a third floor decontamination tent.

Mike staked out the guest room, (or as we like to refer to it now...the "bonus" room), for his recovery.
The great thing about our house is that you never need nap alone. In fact, I dare you to try.
On Friday it was back to work. I'd have liked another day off, but didn't want to use any more of my paid time off to get it. As I was getting ready to go to work, I realized that we hadn't gotten anything together if we were going to Michigan. I asked Mike if we were going to go and we decided that we didn't really feel up to the drive.

But today, we were feeling much improved - so we started off the day with a lunch trip to Baker's Square...which ended with pie! Yummo. Mike had French Silk.
While I had a Chocolate Peanut Butter Crunch, myself.
Then Mike took me to the Unique Thrift Shop where I found this sweatshirt for Mike for $4. I love the thrift store. I got some new books for 25 and 50 cents each, so I was happy, too. Although this is the fourth installment of Maya Angelou's "personal narrative." I'll now have to get the other ones! Sheesh. For the record, they are I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Gather Together in My Name, Singin' and Swingin' and Gettin' Merry Like Christmas, The Heart of a Woman (which I just got), All God's Children Need Traveling Shoes, and A Song Flung Up to Heaven.

Then we came home and I sort of pondered what we could do. Mike came up with the idea, though. A hockey game! We decided to buy tickets to see the Chicago Wolves play. We had really close seats and the mascot, Skates, came and sat by us at one point.

The best part, of course, is the hockey fights. And there were a lot of them. It was awesome.

Of course, I can't ever go anywhere without sitting near somebody who annoys me. There was one in front...I saw a lot of this....
...and two behind me. This top girl was semi- annoying in a Valley-girl sort of way.
But I wanted to seriously punch her friend here in the face. She was right behind me. Not only did she have an annoying laugh, but she kept shrieking at the top of her lungs for one of the players. And I don't mean once in a "oh-she's-so-young-and-cute-and-enthusiastic" sort of way. I mean repeatedly in a sort of psycho stalker way. And her voice had the same frequency of fingernails on a chalkboard.
But other than that, the game was a lot of fun. And the Wolves won their home opener.

There were lots of funny people around, too. This studmuffin's texting his girlfriend his undying love. I know - I'm such a nosy Nellie. But I couldn't believe my eyes. He can't be older than 12!
We bought a couple of souvenirs. And spent a decent amount of time goofing around with them before we left.

"Whatcha gonna do, brother...when these pythons are wrapped around yoooooooou. Oooooooh, yeaaaaaaaaah." (Little Hulk Hogan humor for you there.)


I wonder what we'll do tomorrow...
Perhaps I'll get my nails done. :D
Or maybe we'll just sleep and see if we can't get rid of the sick before it's time to go back to work. Should be fun either way.

1 comment:

Susie Schulte said...

I Love your stories! I particularly got a laugh out of your two annoying girls, and that you wanted to punch one LOL!!!