6/06/2008

Only in Chicago

So today on my lunch hour, I went to change the address on my driver's license. A bold move on my part, I know, since I've only lived in my "new" apartment for about eight months. What? I've been busy! Anyway, so I went to the county building where there is an express Secretary of State office. I changed my address without incident and wandered out. I exited the building and was facing Daley Plaza. I saw that they had a little rally going on with tents set up. Sometimes these tents sell stuff, so I thought I'd wander through on my way back to work. As I worked my way through the crowd, I could hear the speech going on, although I didn't really pay attention.

Suddenly, I've somehow worked my way to the front of the crowd and I look up in time to hear Mayor Daley say, "...our senator, Barack Obama!" And there - literally feet in front of me...is the democratic nominee for president.

I had accidentally stumbled onto Barack Obama's unscheduled stop at Chicago's Olympic Rally that was held today at the Daley Center. I listened to his speech and it was easy to see why he's been so successful. He's a really great speaker. I could hardly wait to get back to the office and call Mike to tell him! I don't care who you support or who you're voting for, whether you like Obama, Clinton, McCain or none of the above. No matter! This is history, baby. And today I was there!

4 comments:

SaNdY said...

Wow! That's cool!! You were part of history!! :D

Football and Fried Rice said...

Right on!! I would have flipped if I would have seen him (or any of the others) in person!!

Unknown said...

Wow! One day, when you are old and your grandkids are on your lap, you can say "I was there!" When you started describing the moment, I thought about the Olympic speech, cause it was all over the news!!!

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

That is cool, no matter your political choice. He is definitely a big part of history...
Who did your signature> It is really cute!