2/21/2006

I got the Hippie Hippie Shakes

So Cindi says to me on the way home, "I'm really craving these scones that one of my co-workers brought in to work before. She gets them at Whole Foods. Any idea where there's one by us?" I told her that I hadn't seen one around and I really just wanted to get home. So we get home and the first thing Cindi does is pull out the phone book and I knew what was on her mind. Luckily, she didn't see me roll my eyes and attempt to hide my discontent. "It's at 3300 North Ashland. You know where that is?," she said. "Yep, let's go, we need some pop anyways," I muttered.

Whole Foods turns out to be an organic grocery store. Some of the things were quite interesting (ostrich burgers and filets) and expensive too. I felt like I entered hippie heaven. If Jerry Garcia was still alive and he lived in Chicago, he definitely wouldn't be afraid to shop there. He would have to go somewhere else for his Coca-Cola fix though, as it was nowhere to be found.

I walked around, separate from Cindi, checking out the meat items for sale and looking for some bagel chips. I thought I was talking to a different person when she came up to me and said how she saw some rosemary tofu at the salad bar that actually looked appetizing and that she wanted to try it. I made a face that said "go ahead, try it but don't expect me to."

We found some snack items like Belgian frites style potato chips, vegan chocolate chip cookies, bottled water, bbq chips, pita chips and a $4.39 bag of sea salt and pepper kettle chips. We must have looked like we were hanging out all weekend at a Phish concert or something.

The last purchase was truly magnificent. I carefully perused the beer selection and saw that they had tallboys of Fat Tire Amber Ale. Hallelujah! They just recently began supplying Chicago with their bodacious brew. Their beer selection was small but pretty decent.

All in all, I think we were sold on going back. I'll be going back to try out an ostrich burger with a Ben and Jerry's pint for dessert. They'll be no tofu for this cowboy.

4 comments:

Sassy said...

Didn't see you roll your eyes? Pft! Who needed to see...I believe your exact words were, "Oh, crap. You're gonna make me go to the store, aren't you?"

What an anchor. ;)

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm..... scones - best enjoyed with clotted cream and strawberry preserves.

Anonymous said...

Resisting the temptation to try new things? And this from the guy who just discovered Pop Tarts. C'mon Mikey, be a brave little cowboy and try it. You just might like it.

Anonymous said...

Next time Cindi suggests something like that, I guess you won't be rolling your eyes, will ya? Organic natural food can be yummy, who knew??!! I looove scones too, but I'd take a pass on the tofu!
mOm =]