2/16/2006

Guitar God

"See ya in a bit Cindi. I'm off to Best Buy." Or so I thought. The trip to Best Buy took nearly two hours. What was my detour, you might ask? While walking by the video game section I heard the familiar strains of stadium rock from one of the try it before you buy it video screens. The game playing was Guitar Hero for Playstation 2. The controller is a small plastic replica of a Gibson SG guitar with 5 color buttons for the frets and a strum bar for the strings. The main section of the screen tells you which notes to play and when. I watched a young guy struggle through a song and have the video game "crowd" boo him off the stage. I HAD to try this game. I'm quite sure that I had the same look on my face as when I saw the BBQ pit in the store, but Cindi wasn't with me to verify that.

I started off with an easy song, "I Wanna Be Sedated" by The Ramones. I'm pretty sure that the version on the game is tougher than the actual guitar part in the song. I rocked through that song and several more. I played "I Love Rock N Roll" and got through that without too much trouble. I nearly got booed off the stage after the guitar solo in "Thunder Kiss 65."

I was really into this game. It's too bad that Best Buy was out of the game or I would have bought it immediately. I had the whole head bob and foot tap going. I resisted the urge to get up on the shelf racks and do a David Lee Roth-esque jump off of it with a Pete Townsend windmill strum on the landing. I wanted to duck walk down the aisle like Chuck Berry then light the guitar on fire a la Jimi Hendrix.

I'm putting the band back together. I'm on a mission from God. The man upstairs and I just need to wait until I get the game shipped in from Amazon.com. Rock on!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hahahahahaha!! I'm surprised no one thought about this one sooner! I can't wait to hear you jam on your 'guitar hero'!!!! mOm