1/18/2009

Happy Birthday, Mom!

Today would be my mom's 60th birthday! Whoa. She only lived to be 57 and I've spent some time today wondering how she would have reacted to turning 60. I have little to compare it with. I was only 1 when she turned 30 and 11 when she turned 40 and don't really remember either birthday. She was very sick when she turned 50 and a birthday just wasn't really a priority. Actually, I don't remember her own birthdays ever being a big priority for her, although she always made a big deal out of everyone else's.

Mostly I'm sad because she's not here for me to ask how she feels about turning 60. I've spent a portion of the day looking at old pictures of her and it always makes me feel better to see how much I resemble her. Right after she died, her friend Sandy told me that whenever I miss her, all I have to do is look in the mirror to see her face.

Here we each are at about 18. I actually think I might be 17 here - but close enough.

This is my favorite picture of my mom. As I was looking at it today, I realized that she was probably about the same age that I am now. Maybe a year or two older. So I made Mike take a picture of me to see if we still look alike.


What do you think?

Anyway - if you have time, please take out a moment and light a candle in memory of my mom. It has been two years today that I started my mom's memorial candle "group," where people could go and light a candle in her memory. Since that time there has never been a moment in which there wasn't at least one candle lit by someone who was thinking of her. That's awesome - and it really means a lot to me. So thanks to everyone who takes a moment to do it.

And to my mom. Give Matt a big hug from me. I love and miss you (both) very much - every day, but especially today. Happy 60th birthday.

6 comments:

SaNdY said...

what a great idea, comparing photos of you and your mom at about the same ages..I think you resemble your mom a lot! You definitely have her cheekbones and her smile...

Susie Schulte said...

I never had the pleasure of meeting your Mom, but I do think I can see a strong resemblance in your photos.

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

Uncle Mike says she would be fine with it because in all actuality, she'd only be 29!
The first thing he said to me this morning was-today is Linda's birthday....

Charlie said...

The picture that is almost "haunting" is the picture you posted in your Dec. 12 blog. You have the same "strained" smile that Linda had in 90% of the pictures taken of her!
I agree, that is my favorite picture of her too! I'm sure she wasn't aware it was being taken or she's had her "strained or forced" smile

Charlie said...

P.S. It's not easy being 6 either!

Sassy said...

Which picture? The first one is a "picture" smile, but the second one - the one that Mike took tonight is a real smile...he'd just made me laugh.