5/01/2008

In Spirit

I wanted to say that I felt my Mom's "spirit" with me today.

After work, Mike took me to IHOP. We're on trial at the law firm I work for and so lunch is a rare commodity - so I was starving. Afterward, he stopped for gas on the way back home. He went inside to pay and came back out with two scratch-off tickets. For two such different people, he and Mom shared a love for the scratchers. We scratched silently for a couple of moments, when I realized I had won! Mike nagged me to scratch off the prize. Expecting a dollar, I was surprised to find that I'd won $10!

Mike asked if I wanted my winnings in tickets or in cash and I replied that I didn't care either way. He said he'd just get the money and ran back in to claim the prize. As he went in, I thought about how thrilled my mom would have been with the $10 win and how she'd have put it all back into buying more tickets. He came back and handed the $10 to me and we started home. As we left the gas station, I held the money in my hand and thought about all the times I'd played the scratchers with my mom. We rode in silence for a few blocks when Mike said, "Well, you didn't inherit your Mom's gambling habits."

The comment, so close to my own thoughts, startled me a little that I looked at him and said, "What did you say?"

Mike said, "Your mom. You didn't inherit her habits. She'd have let that $10 ride and played until she was out of money."


I smiled and said, "Yeah, but she'd have told everybody about how she'd won $10 on the scratchers."


Mike looked over and grinned at the truth of the words. And as we looked at each other and smiled at our shared memories, I realized that so long as we can remember and smile, she's never far away.

6 comments:

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

I am so glad to read thepositive reactions to daily things. You know your Mom would want you to smile and laugh and enjoy life for her as well as for each other. The memories are what sustain us and we should be grateful that there are so many pleasant ones....

Kelly said...

that is so true. talking about her and keeping her close to your thoughts is so important. and i know we all love reading about her and her great sense of humor and love for life!

SaNdY said...

After your bad couple of days last week, it seems like you have turned a corner, and I am so happy for you, that you were able to feel your mom's spirit...I agree with Linda's and Kelly's comments, too! :D

SaNdY said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Football and Fried Rice said...

I love how you have the daily reminders of just how "big" your Mom was in your life - even in the small stuff. By the way, I'm with her - I'd have lost it all & STILL told the story of my "win"!!

Laurie said...

awe, that gave me goosebumps and tears to my eyes, what a sweet story.