3/18/2006

Just an observation...

Am I intimidating? I've never really thought so but I suppose I am my mom's daughter. Ask anyone at the hospital where she works and they'll tell you that when they started (and almost all of them have been there less time than she has because she's been there next to FOREVER) and they'll tell you that they were scared of her for a few weeks. (Yeah, mom, I know..."Well, I don't know WHY. Do I seem that scary to you?") To which I can respond that Mike was, indeed, a bit terrified of her at first, too. Poor Mike kinda got ambushed by my family from the get-go. There had been some talk about Mike's...err...family background before he came to visit at my parents' house the first time. My brothers especially were curious as to whether Kurczewski was a Polish last name. At that time I had no idea exactly what his ethnic origins consisted of and I told my brothers he was probably part Czech or something. The LAST thing I wanted was them thinking they were cute telling Pollock jokes to him. Then the first night he met my family, we were playing trivial pursuit and my little brother, Matt, decided there was one way to find out exactly what his background was. He turns and says, "So, Mike...how many Pollocks does it take to..." I. Was. Mortified. I stared him down and mouthed, "Shut the hell up!" which naturally only encouraged him more. He said, "Whaaaaaaaaaaaat? YOU said he was Czech." Thank goodness Mike has a sense of humor. I don't have a point here...just an observation.

I must go get ready for the brunch we are having with my friend, Siobhan. I'm going to make Mike write something soon. He's so lazy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once upon a time, I heard your mother describe you as timid and shy. One of her co-workers said "I can't believe any of her kids would be shy or timid. It won't last" Who knew how true those words would be?

Anonymous said...

She was small and the Easter Egg hunt was at Saunders Park. All the kids were at the line to go grab eggs. When they said go, all the kids rushed out to get the eggs except Lucinda. She grabbed around my right leg and started bawling, scared to death. She didn't get any eggs except what I could lean over and reach. What a difference a few years make. Dad an observation---timid and shy

Anonymous said...

When Mike brought you to our house for the first time, you seemed a bit apprehensive, I remember you standing in the kitchen hugging a stuffed animal!! Granted, I think you had a longer than usual flight to Michigan, if I remember correctly, Mike's car wouldn't start at the airport, and our family had just been turned upside down....I would not have expected much more!!
Maybe you can get Mike to write, I tried to encourage him last week when he called....C'mon, Mike!! Just do it!!

Anonymous said...

Intimidating?? Yeah right!!! About as much as a marshmallow lol.