3/22/2006

Future father of the year?

Last weekend, Mike and I had brunch with Siobhan and her daughter, Laiba. Laiba is about four months old now and quite a smiley baby she is. I spent a fair portion of the meal holding her and asking Mike, "Wanna hold the baby, Mikes?" He, on the other hand, spent his time laughing nervously and saying, "Heh...That's ok." Halfway through the meal, Siobhan took Laiba and fed her. Apparently she got too much milk because shortly after they returned to the table, Laiba "urped" and spit up a little bit. Now I do not have children of my own but I've been around one or two. My nephew used to get nauseated whenever I picked him up. No sooner would I pick him up than he'd be tossing his cookies all over my shirt. While Siobhan cleaned up her shirt and wiped the baby's mouth with a napkin, I peeked over at Mike. I could literally read the thoughts crossing his mind from the look on his face. I just KNEW he was thinking, "Oh my God...is she touching that with her bare hand? Oh that is just GROSS!" I laughed and told Siobhan that I should have made him hold her before because there was no way he would pick her up now. It turns out I was wrong. He did pick her up. I was holding her when it came time to leave and I made him hold her while I slid out of the booth and stood up. THIS was the best part of the whole day. He took her and held her out as FAR away from his body as he could get as if she was filled with dynamite. I can only hope that any kids we have are born about 3 years old. No fuss, litter muss....otherwise I may be on my own.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog, Cindi!! My money's on Mike--the difference is when it's your own kid, it's amazing the bridges you can cross (and the spit up you have to clean up!) If you're alone with your own baby that has some sort of accident involving spewage from said child, whattaya do?? It's up to you to deal with it, and by golly, you do it!! I highly doubt you will have to take over all responsibilities once you and Mike become parents (notice that there is no doubt in my mind that you two WILL BECOME PARENTS, I'm counting on you two!!) I am sure Mike will step up to the plate once he's a dad himself!! (Spoken like a true future grandma!)

Anonymous said...

just like his sister! sometimes i think maybe we ARE related after all! but then i remember how quiet he is...and how loud i am...and know i just HAD to be adopted!
kp

Anonymous said...

To kp: Do you have any pictures of me (your mOm) when I am your age now?? If you do, you would know for sure that you are absolutely not adopted!! There's no chance that me and dad could have adopted a baby that looks so much like me...BTW, I apologize for that
P.S. Mike's not adopted, either