3/20/2011

March 20

Today Mike is grateful for me. Or at least he should be. Our first attempt at making an Outback Bloomin' Onion at home almost = epic fail. Mike mixed the batter and cut the onion. A miscalculation while onion chopping meant that we were having onion petals rather than a real bloomin' onion. I assured him that this wasn't a problem. Then he had an issue getting the batter to stick to the onion.

He was cleaning the mixing bowls and expressing his frustration when I happened into the kitchen. I made him make up more milk/egg mixture so that I could try and coat them better. He wouldn't let me mix up the spices again (it would take too much time), but I got the onion to take a full coating of flour. It's not the Outback - but it looks pretty good on top of that steak, doesn't it?

And what's for dessert?! Fried ice cream. Yummo!


Today I am grateful that I have enough food each day.

"We give Thee thanks for all Thy benefits, O Almighty God, who livest and reignest world without end. Amen. May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen."

5 comments:

Mike said...

The steaks were a tad overcooked for me (my bad). The onion was awesome though! Sassy is being upgraded from dishwasher to my sous chef! ;)

Kelly said...

yay for the upgrade! :) does she get a raise?

how did you make the ice cream??

Mike said...

I think her raise might show up on the next check. ;)

You just form the ice cream into a ball and roll it in crushed corn flakes and cinnamon/sugar mixture. Fry a flour tortilla in veggie oil and sprinkle that with the cinnamon and sugar mix. Garnish with a cherry, chocolate syrup (or honey or strawberry) and whipped cream.

Kelly said...

i always got mine with honey at chi chis! i gotta try that

Football and Fried Rice said...

Oh, mama. can we come over for dinner? I will take your onion peals any day!