3/14/2011

Back on the Gratefulness Wagon - March 14

So, it's been pretty hard to be grateful lately. It's been - pretty much - a big pityfest for myself. Losing my dad within a few years of my mom seemed to crush my spirit and, while I tried to hide it, I didn't much care about being grateful.

But, on the cusp of my 34th birthday, I've decided that I can only be as grateful as I try to be. So I'm back on the gratefulness wagon - trying to find the joy in the little things in life.

So - I thought that I'd tackle the source of my ungratefulness head-on and start there by finding something to be grateful about even in the things that have caused me so much unhappiness. So here it is.

I am grateful that God took my parents quickly and with minimal suffering. They were not in pain. They did not linger in comas or a vegetative state. They did not waste away in front of me. They are together again in Heaven. And I am grateful.




“O God, great and omnipotent judge of the living and the dead, we are to appear before you after this short life to render an account of our works. Give us the grace to prepare for our last hour by a devout and holy life. Let us remember our frailty and mortality, that we may always live in the ways of your commandments. Teach us to "watch and pray" (Lk 21:36), that when your summons comes for our departure from this world, we may go forth to meet you, experience a merciful judgment, and rejoice in everlasting happiness. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.”

4 comments:

Kelly said...

glad you are back :)

SaNdY said...

I'm glad, too...and grateful that after months of checking here for a new post, here you are....the true test of really being grateful is when you can find something, one little thing, in the midst of despair....so proud of you, Cindi, and love your guts....<3....

Brenda said...

YaY! You're baaaack! We've all missed your wise words! Hope you had a happy day yesterday and everyday! You're coming out of the darkness, you've grown another year, and you are blessed!

Football and Fried Rice said...

i have missed you, cindi. i am so sorry for the last few months. i still have moments where its hard to believe - as i am sure you do. i stand in awe of your perseverance. i hope to see you more here :)

hugs,
sara

p.s. we are naming our new baby ruby - after your mom's mom.