7/19/2009

When You Have a Moment...

...you might ask my Dad if he remembers what he was doing 35 years ago tomorrow. Oh, alright - I'll tell you...

...HE WAS GETTING MARRIED!!!!

Were my mother living, tomorrow (July 20) would be their 35th wedding anniversary. Well, if he'd survived. My mom would often tell us that with her health issues and family history, she'd never outlive my dad. And Jeff, Matt or I (which ever one of us she was talking to) would say, "Oh, c'mon, Mom - you know you'll outlive him. You'll kill him in his sleep long before you kick off." I know - we have a weird sense of humor...but she laughed every time.

She also loved to tell people that my dad married her for her money. After their wedding, my father (trying to estimate a budget for their honeymoon) made the mistake of asking my mom the date of her next payday. Thirty-two years and two additional kids later, she was still reminding him of it.

Happy anniversary, Dad! In case you're missing Mom, close your eyes and repeat this in your head - it'll be just like she's standing right next to you...

"If anyone had told me that I'd be married to such an old man, I'd never have believed them!"

3 comments:

Charlie said...

Yep, I used to hear that quite often. particularly during the 17 days in January when I was THREE years older than her!
Also when I STARTED losing my hair she would inform me she wasn't going to live with a bald man! IF SHE COULD ONLY SEE ME NOW!

SaNdY said...

'To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die...' Thomas Campbell

Anytime you write or talk about your mom, I learn something new about her....

Love your guts...

Paula said...

That is so sweet, Cindi.... what wonderful memories!
My mom passed away one year shy of her and Dad's 50th... maybe our moms are comparing notes on their men right now! LOL