8/14/2008

Don't Believe Everything You Read in a Brochure!

This post will contain no pictures. Shocking, I know, as I try to have some sort of a picture in every post. But, this is an update post and I'm 1 day post-surgery, so work with me here. :D

I had my cystoscopy/lithotripsy yesterday and I'm telling you that those people on the brochure are full of it. It sucks. Yesterday I was sick and miserable and today I'm sore and cranky. I'm not having anything that's not normal, but it's just not fun.

Yesterday the anesthesiologist gave me the option of being put to sleep or having localized anesthetic. Hrm...being awake while they thread a stent and camera through my bladder, ureters, into my kidney where they manipulate kidney stones and send thousands of shock waves in to break them into little bits. PASS. I asked to be put out for the whole thing and I woke up as they were wheeling me into the recovery room.

My vision was blurry and I had a hard time remembering where I was, so I was freaking out for a bit. Then I was sick. I don't do well with anesthesia - my stomach is so sensitive. I threw up a couple of times and slept most of the evening. The recovery room nurse was a really nice lady named Karen. While I threw up she rubbed my back and held back my hair. I closed my eyes and pretended that she was my mom, who was the person I really wanted. After a half an hour or so, she helped me get dressed and let Mike come back to see me.

Today I'm feeling better, but I have a sore throat. I think I must have had some sort of a tube in there during anesthesia. Also, my upper arm muscles are really sore. I suspect this might be from them having my arms above my head during the procedure to keep them out of the way.

Anyway, I have to follow up with my urologist in a month to make sure the stones are gone. I just thought you might want to know. :D I think now seems like a great time for a nap.

1 comment:

SaNdY said...

Ohhhh, so sorry, Cindi....that procedure sounds almost as bad as having the stones...feel better ((hugs))