6/27/2009

A Week in Review

So last weekend, Mike and I went to PolishFest with Lisa and Keith (pictures to come in a later post). And then Wednesday was a Matt Harris Memorial Taco Night at Chez Kurczewski. Mel, Sarah jayne, Lyric and Mike all worked very hard to help me get through what proved to be a very difficult day. Lyric brought over her Polly Pockets for us to play with, although as you can see, she was mostly interested in playing with Mel. Lyric loves Mel.


Sarah's big contribution to the night was a soy ice cream and fruit smoothy, which proved to be quite delicious, I must say. What was that secret ingredient again?


Oh, yeah. That would be rum.


And Mike made the tacos. He had dropped me off at the grocery store while he went to get gas for the car and somehow I had come home with one pound of ground beef and one pound of ground sirloin. When Mike pointed out my mistake, I was really upset because I hate sirloin. Mike was like, "Dammit! Why did I say anything. If I hadn't said anything, you'd never have noticed the difference."

After dinner, we sat around and talked about lots of different topics. Ironically, one of the things we talked about was the love of Michael Jackson that we'd all had in our childhood and how one of the best karaoke songs of all time is "Billie Jean" because it's always fun to be in audience and do the "HEE heeeeeee" part. The next day Michael Jackson was dead.

Then on Friday it was that time of year again. Tornado warnings were phoned in, as Caleb (aka Tommy Tornado) was on his way to Chicago for his annual summer visit. Mike laughed because within five minutes of our arrival, he was looking for our X-Box and trying to get us hooked up to be able to go online and play live.

Mike had to work at the Taste of Chicago this afternoon, so Caleb and I've had an evening to ourselves. It's been interesting. I've watched him play Grand Theft Auto live, made him some alfredo pasta and tried to explain the genius of Thriller. He doesn't get it - he's young and has grown up in the new CGI universe, but he listened to me explain how, when we first saw it, my friends and I thought Thriller was the coolest thing ever. He doesn't understand at 17 that there's such a thing as nostalgia and that someday he too will be sad when things happen that prove that your childhood is long gone. I am sad about Michael Jackson. I'm not going get into any debates about him as a person. You think whatever you want and I'll do the same. The fact is, listening to his music always reminds me of so many fun things that I did as a kid and it is sad that the man responsible for that portion of the soundtrack of my life will never make any more music.

And that's our week. What did you do?

2 comments:

Football and Fried Rice said...

i'm with you on the Michael Jackson thing. Sad. Last year our pastor showed a video clip (which i am SURE is ALL over youtube) where Michael Jackson came onto stage for one of his concerts and it was literally FIFTEEN minutes of screaming from the fans before he could say anything. He was an icon.

And the smoothie looks yum too. You have some greta friends to keep you company...

SaNdY said...

It's good to have friends and family to help you through those rough times....
That is so strange that you guys were discussing MJ and he passes the next day....
Have a nice visit with Caleb! :D