3/30/2009

A Papaya Post

I spent a great deal of today thinking about my cousin, Sara and her Mya Papaya. My working morning was spent at the Chinese Consulate in Chicago. A rarity - usually I send away for people's visas, but today I got to act as agent and go, in person, to pick up a Chinese visa for a client. It was an extremely long wait and an interesting one, as it was prime people watching. Lots of little Chinese girls about Mya's age waiting for visas with their parents. I smiled as I listened to one little girl tattling on her brother to her father in rapid Chinese - some things are the same in any language. Plenty of multi-lingual families speaking in a blend of the two languages. The lady behind me spoke to her two young children in Chinese, but ended every sentence with, "Ok?"

Eventually the seat next to me was taken by a very nice Chinese woman who chatted with me for quite some time in heavily-accented English. She asked me when I was going to China. Alas, I am not. She is going back to visit her parents, which she does once a year and has ever since they returned to China about four years ago - after living in Chicago for six years prior. I talked to her about Mya and brought out my phone to pull up Sara's website and show her pictures. She oohed and aahed about how pretty she is and giggled as she said that "she look like she have plenty attitude." By the way, Sara, she told me to advise you to try and find a way to keep up Mya's language because "Chinese very hard learn." Her own daughter, at 11, has forgotten all of her Chinese (it's not her fault, though, she says...her father's American and speaks no Chinese) and so she makes Anna go to Chinese Saturday school, but she's having a difficult time.

It was a nice break from the regular work day - and I get to go back again tomorrow. They took the visa application but were to busy for same day service, so I get to go pick it up tomorrow. I wonder who I'll meet then.

5 comments:

SaNdY said...

Interesting!! Looking forward to Day 2!! :D

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

Hey, I spent like $400 for a courier to do that for me in Chicago!! I should have called?? LOL!!

I have been thinking about you a lot...Probably all the DICEY we've been playing lately :)

Attitude? Mya? no way! She's 3, she's darn near a perfect angel....

Most cities have Chinese Schools, Culture classes, language, etc. I really want to go to language school in China for a year (with the family) Can't afford it yet, maybe one day though!!! Then we can all learn! There is a Chinese school up the road, but doesn't do much good for her to learn when we don't know it! And my people are pretty lazy.....

XOXO,
Sara

p.s. oooh, another good song about perseverance: "Bring the Rain" - Mercyme

Sassy said...

Believe me, they paid plenty for me to go, too - as I have an hourly billing rate. But for you, I'd go for free. ;)

Brenda said...

Wow! I thought I posted to this earlier, but (ha) maybe not! Anyway, you had an interesting day,learned a lot, and was glad to hear that you were paid, dearly! Good story!!

Football and Fried Rice said...

LOL!!! I know, I am sure it was exhausting! That is why I would have never tried to do it on my own!